- 1 can (14.5 oz) mixed vegetables (any combination green or yellow beans, carrots, corn, peas, mixed, etc.)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs, basil or rosemary (dried, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1. Drain vegetables, saving 2 Tablespoons liquid.
2. Place margarine/butter in a saucepan or skillet.
3. Cook onion, herbs, and garlic until the onion is tender.
4. Stir in the vegetables and liquid.
5. Cook and stir until heated through.
Use no salt added canned vegetables for less sodium.
Use olive oil in place of margarine or butter, for a different flavor.
More About Green Beans
How to Select
Choose green beans with long pods that are firm, plump, and shiny. Beans should snap easily when bent. Avoid green beans that feel too soft. One pound of beans makes about four servings.
How to Store
Store in the refrigerator in a plastic bag and use within 3-5 days. Beans can also be blanched for 3 minutes, cooled and frozen for preservation.
How to Prepare
Steam in water until tender-crisp, prepare on stovetop, microwave them or add them directly to soups, stews, stir fries, and other recipes.