Harvest Kale Apple Salad
Source: Broom-Tioga BOCES, Rural Health Network
Serving size: 1 1/3 cup
Servings per recipe: 4
This sweet and salty salad has a unique blend of flavors you will love!View Nutrition Facts
- 4 cups raw kale
- 1 cup of raw apples with skin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (bottled or canned or freshly squeezed)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop kale and dice apples
- Toss apples in ½ tablespoon of lemon juice
- Make dressing by combining the rest of the lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add in oil until dressing thickens.
- Add dressing to kale and toss.
- Add apples and dried cranberries to salad mixture.
- Salad is best if made a day before serving
More About Kale
How to Select
Choose dark colored kale bunches with small to medium leaves. Avoid brown or yellow leaves.
How to Store
Store kale in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly and remove leaves from stalk. Chop in salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil, sauté, stir-fry or braise in flavored broth. Add to soups for last few minutes of cooking. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice as a side dish.
You Might Also Like
Barley Summer Salad
Try this great alternative grain, barley, with a varied blend of vegetables and fruits.
Peanut Butter Balls
Kids love these easy, fun and healthy snacks... and chickpeas play a starring role!