- 4 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups cooked green beans, canned, frozen or fresh
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
1. In a medium pot, add potatoes, onion, chicken broth, garlic powder and pepper.
To add a little spice to this dish, add a couple of tablespoons of mustard.
More About Green Beans
How to Select
Choose green beans with long pods that are firm, plump, and shiny. Beans should snap easily when bent. Avoid green beans that feel too soft. One pound of beans makes about four servings.
How to Store
Store in the refrigerator in a plastic bag and use within 3-5 days. Beans can also be blanched for 3 minutes, cooled and frozen for preservation.
How to Prepare
Steam in water until tender-crisp, prepare on stovetop, microwave them or add them directly to soups, stews, stir fries, and other recipes.
You Might Also Like
Black Bean and Vegetable Quesadillas
Whole wheat tortillas give the classic quesadilla a healthy twist.