- 2½ pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Put rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss together potatoes, rutabagas and oil in a large bowl. Spread out on large baking sheet. Cover with foil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with sugar, salt and pepper; mix to coat. Put back in oven and roast, uncovered, until golden brown and glazed, about 25 minutes longer.
More About Rutabaga
How to Select
Choose rutabagas that are heavy for their size and free of soft spots or cracks.
How to Store
Refrigerate rutabagas in a plastic bag with some air holes for up to 3 weeks. Long-term: Pack in moist sand and store in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees. Can last 2-6 months.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Peel skin. Eat raw: Slice or grate in salads, coleslaw, or use as garnish. Eat cooked: Microwave, steam, boil, roast, or stir-fry. Cook and mash, add to casseroles, soups, stews, and vegetable and meat dishes.