- 4 cups peeled and grated beets
- 4 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp dried ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine beets, carrots, onion, green pepper & ginger.
2. In a small bowl, blend lime juice, oil, mustard, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Adapted from a recipe at Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables website.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Curried Black-eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas are a good source of protein and fiber. The curry adds delicious flavor to this vegan and gluten-free dish.
This nutritious soup is a great way to add in some seasonal vegetables while also getting some delicious whole grains!