- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, beat egg.
- Stir in molasses, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients; stir together lightly.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly wipe with oil.
- Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges.
- Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves or nutmeg.
No buttermilk? Place 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Stir and let set to thicken slightly.
To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.
Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.
You Might Also Like
Squash, Pear and Ginger Soup
This delicious creamy soup will warm you up on a cold winter's evening!