- 1 10.5 ounce package of extra-firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli or spinach, cut up
- 6 medium carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, if desired
1. Wrap tofu in several layers of paper towels; press lightly to remove excess moisture.
2. Cut tofu into cubes. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
4. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in tofu, broccoli or spinach, carrots, green pepper, celery, onion, and cabbage.
6. Add 2 tablespoon of water. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
7. Add small amounts of water as needed throughout the cooking period.
8. Add soy sauce (if desired).
More About Garlic
How to Select
Choose garlic that is plump, dry and firm. Fresh garlic should be white to off-white.
How to Store
Garlic should be stored in a cool, dark place, but not in the refrigerator or freezer, and can be kept for several weeks. Clay garlic holders can be used as well. Unpeeled: Store in a paper bag in a cool, dark place, away from other foods. This can keep for months. Peeled: Refrigerate in sealed container, freeze peeled garlic cloves, chopped or whole, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or freezer bags. This can keep for weeks. Long term: Keep in a dry, cool location. Tie dry garlic into braids. Store bulbs together in netted bags.
How to Prepare
Separate cloves to be used from bulb. Trim tips of cloves. Peel. Chop or crush with a knife, or purée. Sauté with other vegetables in oil and spices. Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, dips, rice and bean dishes, pasta, and meat dishes. Bake on breads with drizzled olive oil and seasonings.
You Might Also Like
Yummy Eggplant Lasagna Rolls
This low-carb version of lasagna is a great way to get some of your daily veggies in!
Almond Rice Pudding
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. Using brown rice will also include more whole grains in your diet.