Garden Sloppy Joes
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 12 servings, 1/2 bun per serving
Add your favorite veggies and your favorite meat to create your own version of this kid-friendly meal.View Nutrition Facts
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
1. Sauté onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
4. Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Chunky Black Bean Dip
This quick, easy to prepare dip makes a great snack or healthy lunch when served with vegetables!
Adding a sweeter veggie like carrots to pancake batter is a great way to add more nutrients, fiber, and energy to a breakfast!