- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped or shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
1. Sauté onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
4. Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
Add your favorite fresh, canned or frozen chopped vegetables. Try whole wheat English muffins instead of buns.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Easy Red Beans and Rice
Using leftover rice, canned beans & tomatoes, this classic one-dish meal can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
Broccoli Chicken Stir Fry with Carrots
This easy, delicious recipe will have your family coming back for seconds!