Garden Sloppy Joes
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 12 servings, 1/2 bun per serving
Add your favorite veggies and your favorite meat to create your own version of this kid-friendly meal.View Nutrition Facts
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
1. Sauté onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
4. Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Winter squash brings great flavor to this healthier version of homemade mac and cheese!
This traditional Middle Eastern salad is delicious, easy to make, and is a good source of Vitamins A & C and fiber.