- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 11/2 Tablespoons skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cut-up fresh fruit
1. Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature on counter top.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Slice crust off bread. Flatten with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy skillet to about 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
4. While the bread is baking, in a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and milk with a fork until smooth. Stir in honey and vanilla.
5. Spread a generous tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on each piece of cooled bread. Arrange about 1/3 cup of fruit on top of each tart.
Feel free to use your favorite combination of fruit to make these tarts you'll need 2 cups total of cut-up fruit and/or berries. Use what's in season diced mangoes, apples, pears, melon or pineapple, berries (slice or halve larger ones) and orange or grapefruit segments all make good toppings.
More About Strawberries
How to Select
Choose shiny, firm strawberries with a bright red color. Caps should be fresh, green and intact. Avoid shriveled, mushy or leaky berries.
How to Store
Do not wash strawberries until ready to eat. Store in refrigerator for 1-3 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water with caps still attached; pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Wash the berries just before you plan to use them.
You Might Also Like
Mexican Vegetable & Beef Skillet Meal
Try this tasty cheesy hamburger and vegetable meal with an added kick!
Sautéed Kale with White Beans and Garlic
This delicious dish is a nutrition powerhouse, and easy to make.