Oven Fried Green Tomatoes
Source: EatingWell Test Kitchen
Servings per recipe: 6
Got green tomatoes? Before you throw them out, take a look at this tasty recipe.View Nutrition Facts
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Brush 1½ teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (see Tip).
- Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1½ teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
If you have two ovenproof skillets, cook all the tomatoes at the same time.
More About Green Tomatoes
How to Select
Choose firm, smooth-skinned green tomatoes free from blemishes or bruises.
How to Store
Unripe tomatoes should be stored out of direct sunlight at room temperature until ripe for 3 or 4 days. Once ripe, tomatoes should be used within a day or two. Only refrigerate fully ripened tomatoes. Freeze or can for later use.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Add to salads, sandwiches, and fresh sauces. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, roast, grill, braise, or simmer. Add to casseroles, soups, and stews. Dip in flour or cornmeal and fry, or stuff with fillings and bake.
You Might Also Like
Banana Roll Ups
These three-ingredient banana roll ups make a healthy and delicious after-school snack!