- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cooked or frozen corn
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Chill until serving time.
2. Drain before serving.
3. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serve with fresh vegetables or baked tortilla chips. Use canned beans, or cook dry beans, instead. 1 can (15 ounces) is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
For extra zip, add 1/2 cup chopped tomatillos to this recipe.
More About Tomatoes
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins that are free from bruises, cracks, or blemishes.
How to Store
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Use within 1 week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated; refrigerate only if you can't use them before they spoil. Freeze or can for later use.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Add to salads, sandwiches, and fresh sauces. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, roast, grill, braise, or simmer. Add to casseroles, soups, and stews. Chop, simmer and blend to make sauce for pizza, pasta, rice dishes, casseroles, salsa, and dips.