- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning, for sprinkling on eggplant before roasting
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder , for sprinkling on eggplant before roasting
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, onions
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine Italian seasoning and garlic powder in small bowl.
- Cut both ends off the eggplant, and slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and lay eggplant slices on it. Spray top of eggplant rounds with olive oil, and sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
- Roast the eggplant rounds in the oven for 25 minutes until browned and softened, turning rounds half way through so both sides are browned.
- Remove eggplant from oven, and turn up oven to broil.
- Top each eggplant round with about 3 Tbsp sauce, 1-1/2 Tbsp chopped vegetables of your choosing, 1-1/2 tsp each grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil eggplant rounds until cheese is melted and slightly brown. Top with hot pepper flakes and fresh basil, if desired.
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Choose eggplants that are heavy for their size and without cracks or discolorations.
How to Store
Store eggplants in the refrigerator crisper drawer or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Use within 5-7 days. Freeze: Cook sliced eggplant, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Prepare cooked eggplant dishes and freeze in containers.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim off any bruised spots. Cut off top stem and leaves. Peel if desired. Slice or dice. Microwave cubes in water, stab holes with fork and bake whole. Stuff and bake, roast, fry coated in breadcrumbs, grill brushed with olive oil. Add to sauces and soups, stir-fry or roast with other vegetables, or add to pasta and rice dishes and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
This colorful, nutritious dip is delicious with sliced vegetables such as carrots, celery or jicama.
Tofu with Broccoli
Tofu cooked until golden brown and sauteed broccoli served in a scallion soy sauce makes for a quick, delicious meal. Serve with brown rice.