- 1 medium eggplant, approximately 1 pound
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup marinara (or tomato) sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat the baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prepare the breading station: Combine the breadcrumbs, salt and Parmesan in a gallon-sized resealable bag. Beat the egg white until foamy in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the stem off the eggplant. Leave the eggplant unpeeled. Cut the eggplant into 1x3-inch fries by cutting the eggplant into 1-inch-thick rounds, then cutting the rounds into sticks.
- Dip the eggplant fries into the egg white and roll to coat. Next, put them into the gallon bag, seal the bag tightly and shake the bag to coat the eggplant fries with bread crumbs and cheese mixture.
- Remove the eggplant fries from the breading bag, gently shaking off excess crumbs. Place the eggplant fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and spray with another coat of cooking spray. Roast the fries for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Serve warm with marinara dipping sauce.
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Choose eggplants that are heavy for their size and without cracks or discolorations.
How to Store
Store eggplants in the refrigerator crisper drawer or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Use within 5-7 days. Freeze: Cook sliced eggplant, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Prepare cooked eggplant dishes and freeze in containers.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim off any bruised spots. Cut off top stem and leaves. Peel if desired. Slice or dice. Microwave cubes in water, stab holes with fork and bake whole. Stuff and bake, roast, fry coated in breadcrumbs, grill brushed with olive oil. Add to sauces and soups, stir-fry or roast with other vegetables, or add to pasta and rice dishes and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Curried Potatoes with Red Lentils
This tasty vegetarian curry dish will definitely be a new family favorite!
Bow Tie Pasta with Zucchini Sauce
Get the kids involved by helping grate the zucchini. They will love to help make a delicious meal for your family!