- Cooking oil spray, as needed (non-stick)
- 1 onion (large, peeled and chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (medium, washed, seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can kidney beans (15.5 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
1. Spray pot with cooking oil spray.
2. Cook onion and pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Add garlic powder, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
4. Bring mixture to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Serve over rice
Look for no salt added canned, diced tomatoes for less sodium. You may use fresh garlic, minced; or onion powder in place of garlic powder.
More About Red Kidney Bean
How to Select
Choose dried beans or canned beans with less sodium. Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature in a closed container, to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned beans at room temperature, and use before date on can.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
A classic favorite, this popular dip is made with common pantry ingredients. A 1/2 serving is only 90 calories!
Tamari Roasted Pecans
These roasted pecans are a healthy snack choice. Eat them by the handful, or add them to salads for a delicious crunch!