Curried Potatoes with Red Lentils
Source: What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl
Serving size: 1 portion
Servings per recipe: 6
This tasty vegetarian curry dish will definitely be a new family favorite!
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon butter (or more oil)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic cloves, crushed (use 2-3 garlic cloves)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use a dark-fleshed potatoes)
2 yellow potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use thin-skinned potatoes, such as Yukon Gold)
1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
1 tablespoon curry paste (or curry powder)
1/2 cup dried red lentils
2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons lime juice
salt (to taste, optional)
1. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil and melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden.
2. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are starting to turn golden on the edges.
3. Add the ginger and curry paste and cook for another minute.
4. Add the lentils, cilantro (optional), vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Stir to combine well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add a little water, stock, or coconut milk if it gets too thick.
6. Add the lime juice and season with salt (optional). Serve hot.
More About Potatoes
How to Select
Look for firm, well-shaped and fairly smooth potatoes. Avoid potatoes that have wrinkles.
How to Store
Do not wash for storage. Do not store with onions. Place in a paper bag, or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store potatoes in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place, or refrigerate. Can last up to 5 months.
How to Prepare
Scrub gently under water. Skin has many nutrients. If peeling, first remove any sprouts. Carve out any green spots. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, sauté, roast, or mash. Add to casseroles, soups, stews, and curry dishes.
You Might Also Like
Cabbage Stir Fry
This recipe is quick and easy to make, and is a good source of fiber and Vitamin C. Serve with brown rice.