Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: 18
A classic favorite, this popular dip is made with common pantry ingredients. A 1/2 serving is only 90 calories!View Nutrition Facts
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 limes, juiced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)
1. Mix kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chilies, and onion in a large bowl.
2. Add lime juice, oil, salt, and pepper; toss gently to combine.
3. Serve by itself or with baked tortilla chips.
To make this spicier, add some fresh mashed garlic.
More About Red Kidney Bean
How to Select
Choose dried beans or canned beans with less sodium. Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature in a closed container, to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned beans at room temperature, and use before date on can.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
Southern Okra Bean Stew
This stew has both beans and rice, making it a complete protein! Very hearty stew that can be a complete meal on a cool day.