Colorful Rice Salad
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 6-8
This delicious and versatile salad may be used as a side dish or a one dish meal.View Nutrition Facts
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon curry spice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 15.5 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
1. Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar. Cover tightly and shake until well blended.
3. Pour dressing over salad mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
If you don't have time to make the salad dressing, you can use your favorite prepared salad dressing.
1 cup unsalted peanuts or sliced almonds
1 cup grapes, chopped
1 cup apple, shredded
1 cup low-fat cheese, shredded, or crumbled feta
1 cup basil, chopped
More About Garbanzo Beans, Also Known As Chickpeas
How to Select
Garbanzo beans are primarily purchased in their dried or canned forms.
How to Store
Dried garbanzo beans last for more than a year. For canned beans, use the "sell by date" on the can as your guide. Once canned garbanzos are opened, or dried garbanzos are cooked, keep them refrigerated and use within 3 to 4 days.
How to Prepare
Fresh or canned garbanzo beans can be prepared by baking, boiling, sauteing, frying, simmering in a sauce, grinding them to make falafel, or mashing them to make hummus. Dried garbanzo beans need to be cooked first. Soak dried beans in water overnight, then boil for about 2 hours, until beans are soft.
You Might Also Like
Chicken Parmesan Cups
These bite size snacks are a fun way to get the fabulous taste of chicken parm!
This southwest influenced omelet is hearty enough for breakfast, lunch or even dinner.