Serving size: 2 Tbsp
Servings per recipe: 18
This is the traditional take on this Middle Eastern dish--it's loaded with nutrients such as protein, fiber, iron, and magnesium, and is a delicious snack served with sliced vegetables or whole wheat pita.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 15-ounce can drained chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 4 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter or tahini **
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Chopped parsley and olives, optional garnish
* Sounds like: húmm-us** Tahini is ground up sesame seeds, and has the consistency of peanut butter. It sounds like: ta-hée-nee.
1. Put garlic, lemon juice, salt, and 1 cup of chick peas into blender. Add 2 Tbsp of water, and blend until smooth.
2. Add second cup of chick peas and 2 Tbsp of cold water. Blend until smooth.
3. Add tahini and blend again until smooth. If you want creamier hummus, add an additional Tbsp of water.
4. Scoop hummus into a shallow bowl. Smooth over the top of the hummus with a flattened knife. Sprinkle the hummus with paprika and then drizzle the olive oil.
Optional: Garnish with chopped parsley and olives
Serve with pita bread or cut up raw vegetables.
Hummus can be made using a potato masher or fork. The resulting dip will be a bit chunkier than the blended version, but still delicious!
Traditional hummus is made with chick peas, however any bean can be used in place. Try black beans or white beans with different herbs for a variety of flavors!
More About Garbanzo Beans, Also Known As Chickpeas
How to Select
Garbanzo beans are primarily purchased in their dried or canned forms.
How to Store
Dried garbanzo beans last for more than a year. For canned beans, use the "sell by date" on the can as your guide. Once canned garbanzos are opened, or dried garbanzos are cooked, keep them refrigerated and use within 3 to 4 days.
How to Prepare
Fresh or canned garbanzo beans can be prepared by baking, boiling, sauteing, frying, simmering in a sauce, grinding them to make falafel, or mashing them to make hummus. Dried garbanzo beans need to be cooked first. Soak dried beans in water overnight, then boil for about 2 hours, until beans are soft.
You Might Also Like
Asparagus, Feta and Couscous Salad
This elegant yet simple salad is lovely on its own or as a complement to a main course.