- ¼ small bell pepper
- ¼ small red onion
- 1 pound lean ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- Rinse and finely chop bell pepper and onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine bell pepper, onion, ground meat, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Divide mixture into 4 pieces. Form pieces into patties about 4 inches across.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add burgers. Cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Add water to the pan. Cover and cook until the burgers reach 165ºF, about 10 minutes more.
Serve on whole wheat buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Or, pair with a tossed salad and Sweet Potato Fries.
Cut leftover bell pepper into strips and add to a tossed salad, or enjoy with a healthy dip. Or, use in another recipe like Barley Jambalaya, Hearty Egg Burritos, or The Works Pizza.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. To freeze, remove seeds, cut, and store in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauteed. Add them to pizzas, scrambled eggs or salads. Stuff and bake them for a delicious meal!
You Might Also Like
Curried Potatoes with Red Lentils
This tasty vegetarian curry dish will definitely be a new family favorite!
"Mock Potato" Salad, with Cauliflower
This cauliflower salad is lower in calories and carbs than traditional potato salad, and is delicious!