- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rotelle or ziti pasta
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cooked, about 1/3 bunch fresh
- 12 ounces cooked cubed skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare macaroni as directed on the package; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add broccoli and cooked chicken, mix well. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt margarine over low heat; stir in flour until smooth.Gradually stir in milk, mustard and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in half of the cheese; continue to cook over low heat. Stir until cheese melts. Pour sauce over pasta mixture; mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake 25 minutes or until bubbly.
More About Broccoli
How to Select
Buy fresh or frozen in whole heads or florets. Broccoli heads should be odorless with tight, bluish-green florets.
How to Store
Refrigerate broccoli and use within 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Broccoli can be sauteed, steamed, boiled or eaten raw. Toss broccoli in a stir-fry, add it to salads, throw it on pizzas or dip it in low-fat ranch for a fun treat!
You Might Also Like
Southern Okra Bean Stew
This stew has both beans and rice, making it a complete protein! Very hearty stew that can be a complete meal on a cool day.
Southwestern Stuffed Potatoes
These kid-friendly stuffed potatoes are easy to make, and a real crowd pleaser!