- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1.Heat oven to 425 F. Grease an 8 or 9 square baking pan
2. Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
3. In another bowl, beat together milk, egg and oil.
4. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add spinach and cheese. Mix until just blended.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 25 minutes, until firm to the touch.
Kids love this cornbread. Best served with chili.
More About Spinach
How to Select
Choose fresh, crisp, green bunches with no evidence of insect damage.
How to Store
Remove blemished leaves, rinse, dry and refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes for use within 3-5 days. You can also blanch, cool, and freeze spinach in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse greens in cold water. Pat leaves between towels or use a salad spinner to dry leaves. Add to salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, braise, or purée. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces, and pasta, rice, and egg dishes. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.
You Might Also Like
Serve this relish recipe—full of nectarines, corn and fresh tomatoes—as a wonderful accompaniment or put some in a pasta salad as a mayonnaise substitute.
Asian Roasted Cauliflower
This Asian-inspired cauliflower dish has an excellent flavor and is quick to prepare!