Cheesy Bean Dip
Serving size: 1/3 cup
Servings per recipe: 6
This flavorful dip was developed by students from Holt High School, as part of the "Recipes for Healthy Kids Challenge." Serve it with vegetables sticks or whole wheat pita wedges.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 cup black beans, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup great northern white beans, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup onion, fine dice
- 1/4 cup canned, low sodium, diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
For a creamy smooth dip, use a blender for the next steps. For a chunky dip, mash ingredients with a potato masher.
- Blend or mash together the tomatoes, garlic, onion and spices.
- Add beans, and mash or blend again. Transfer dip to a mixing bowl.
- Add Parmesan cheese. Mix to combine.
- Can be served with vegetable sticks or whole wheat pita chips, or a combination of both.
More About White Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out--beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
This delicious and versatile dish can be used as a main course or side dish for any meal of the day!