- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cups milk, non-fat
- 1/2 cup cheddar or American cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper as garnish, optional
- Top with shake of paprika, optional
1. Combine potatoes, carrots, celery, onion in 2-3 quart sauce pan. Add 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Add corn and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
3. Add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese melts and chowder is heated through. Do not boil.
4. Top with optional diced green pepper and paprika.
4. Serve hot.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.