Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 3 pancakes
Servings per recipe: 5
Adding a sweeter veggie like carrots to pancake batter is a great way to add more nutrients, fiber, and energy to a breakfast!View Nutrition Facts
- 1⁄2 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Mix oatmeal and buttermilk and set aside to soak.
- Peel and grate the carrot with a fine grater.
- Add egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract, if desired, to the oatmeal mixture; beat well. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Measure dry ingredients and stir into the wet ingredients until batter is fairly smooth. If it seems too thick add a small amount of milk.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly wipe with oil. Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Instead of syrup, try topping pancakes with fresh fruit, yogurt or applesauce!
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Get all the flavor and nutrition of traditional quiche without the extra fat and calories from the crust!
Black Bean and Vegetable Quesadillas
Whole wheat tortillas give the classic quesadilla a healthy twist.