Broiled Tomatoes and Cheese
Source: USDA What's Cooking
Serving size: 2 tomatoes per serving
Servings per recipe: 3
Sort of like a pizza, but without the crust!
3 tomatoes (large, firm)
1. Wash tomatoes and cut in half.
2. Mix cottage cheese, basil and pepper.
3. Spread cheese on tomato halves.
4. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and spray with cooking spray.
5. Spray broiler pan with cooking spray. Place prepared tomatoes on a pan and broil about 10 minutes.
More About Tomatoes
How to Select
Choose plump tomatoes with smooth skins that are free from bruises, cracks, or blemishes.
How to Store
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Use within 1 week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated; refrigerate only if you can't use them before they spoil. Freeze or can for later use.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Add to salads, sandwiches, and fresh sauces. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, roast, grill, braise, or simmer. Add to casseroles, soups, and stews. Chop, simmer and blend to make sauce for pizza, pasta, rice dishes, casseroles, salsa, and dips.