- 8 ounces broccoli rabe (about ½ bunch) or broccolini, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3½ cups shredded peeled turnips
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 8 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook until tender, about 5 minutes for broccoli rabe. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add turnips, onion and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread and pat the mixture into an even layer; cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Pat the mixture into an even layer and continue cooking, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir again, spread back into an even layer and cook until mostly golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring briefly, until beginning to set, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Spoon the turnip mixture evenly over the eggs. Top with cheese, then the broccoli rabe (or broccolini).
- Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake the frittata until set, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. To release the frittata from the pan, run a flexible rubber spatula along the edges then underneath, until you can slide it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
More About Broccoli Rabe
How to Select
Choose firm, green, small stems with compact heads. The florets should be tightly closed and dark green, not open or yellow. Avoid ones with leaves that are wilted or yellowing.
How to Store
Store broccoli rabe in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water and chop. Blanch just before cooking to make it less bitter. Steam, microwave, or boil in water or chicken stock for more flavor. Stir-fry or sauté with garlic and olive oil. Serve over pasta with other vegetables or meat.
You Might Also Like
Instead of deep-fried, fast-food chicken nuggets try this baked version. Kids can't resist them!
Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries and Bulgur Salad
Try this yummy spin on Mediterranean food using a variety of veggies, fruits, nuts, and more!