Broccoli & Black Bean Quesadillas
Serving size: 1 quesadilla w/filling
Servings per recipe: 2 servings
--These quesadillas are nutritious, easy to make, and your kids will love them!View Nutrition Facts
- 1/2 cup black beans, canned
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons salsa
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
- Open canned beans and drain liquid. Place in colander, drain and rinse under tap water until water runs clear. Place beans in mixing bowl,
mash, and set aside.
- Wash and chop broccoli. Use broccoli florets and stalks. Remove outer layer of thick stalks with a vegetable peeler.
- Chop onion and grate cheese.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in frying pan on medium high heat. Add broccoli and onions. Stir-fry 5 – 8 minutes, or until broccoli is just tender crisp.
- Add cooked broccoli to beans and stir. Add cheese and salsa, mixing to combine all ingredients.
- Lay one tortilla flat on plate. Place half the broccoli mixture on one half of tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half so the mixture is covered
completely. Repeat with second tortilla.
- Heat another teaspoon of oil in frying pan on medium high heat. Place one folded tortilla in pan; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Using a spatula, flip and cook second side, brown, and remove.
- Repeat with remaining tortilla, adding oil as needed.
Also great with bell peppers, spinach, and/or zucchini squash in place of broccoli.
More About Broccoli
How to Select
Buy fresh or frozen in whole heads or florets. Broccoli heads should be odorless with tight, bluish-green florets.
How to Store
Refrigerate broccoli and use within 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Broccoli can be sauteed, steamed, boiled or eaten raw. Toss broccoli in a stir-fry, add it to salads, throw it on pizzas or dip it in low-fat ranch for a fun treat!