- 2 cups whole wheat bow tie pasta
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 medium zucchini (10 ounces by weight, about 2/3 of a pound)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt Pinch ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Prepare zucchini sauce while pasta is cooks.
2. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Rinse and grate zucchini. Measure 2 cups grated zucchini.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add zucchini and minced garlic. Cook until mixture softens and zucchini yields some liquid, about 5 minutes.
5. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
6. Add 1-2 teaspoons cooking liquid to zucchini mixture. Add drained pasta. Stir, coating pasta evenly with sauce. Add more pasta water as needed.
7. Transfer pasta to large bowl for serving. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Use yellow squash in place of the zucchini. Or, use a mix of both. For faster cooking, grate zucchini in advance. Refrigerate until you are ready to cook. Make a simple pasta salad. Mix raw grated zucchini with cooked and cooled pasta, canola oil, mint, basil, or other herbs. Add more veggies in step 4 if you like. Try diced carrots or tomatoes, peas, or corn. Try using different pasta shapes.
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Look for zucchini with a slightly prickly, but shiny skin. The skin should be firm and free of cuts and bruises.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Do not wash it until you are ready to use it. Cooked zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator as well, but should be used with in 2 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim tops and bottoms. Add to salads, or have as a snack with dip. Steam, microwave or boil until tender, bake, roast, stir-fry, or sauté. Add to pasta and rice dishes, soups and stews, and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Almond Rice Pudding
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. Using brown rice will also include more whole grains in your diet.
Beef & Vegetable Soup
Looking for a fast meal? Try this hearty stew featuring canned broth and vegetables.