Boiled Chinese Dumplings
Source: Hector Chang, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County
Serving size: 4 dumplings
Servings per recipe: 19
Boiled Chinese dumplings are delicious and fun to make. If you're feeling adventurous, try a dumpling making party--your kids will love it! These dumplings are traditionally served for the Chinese New Year.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 lb of firm tofu, squeezed dry (use paper towels), and crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups Napa cabbage, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger minced (or 1 tsp dried ginger)
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, or to taste
- Large pot of boiling water for cooking dumplings.
- 76 Chinese dumpling wrappers, also called wonton wrappers. These are found in the freezer section or international section of your grocery store.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Take a dumpling wrapper and put 1 Tbsp of filling in the center of the wrapper. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal filling in the wrapper. If dough won’t stick together, put a little water on the edge of each wrapper, then pinch edges together. Make 12 dumplings at a time.
- At this point, you can freeze the dumplings, and cook them at a later date.*
- Put dumplings gently into boiling water. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the dumplings float to the top of the water.
- Remove dumplings from boiling water with slotted spoon, and put on a plate.
- Serve with soy sauce or black Chinese vinegar.
To freeze raw dumplings:
1. Dust the bottom of a big airtight box with a thin layer of flour. If you have more than one layer of dumplings, separate the layers with wax or parchment paper.
2. Place the dumplings in the box, finger width apart. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
If you want to make your own dumpling wrappers, see video for how to make the dough.
More About Napa Cabbage
How to Select
Select Napa cabbage that is compact, firm, crisp and fresh. There should be no brown spots on the ribs. Avoid greens whose leaves are slightly wilted or exhibit brown spots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Remove damaged or wilted leaves before cooking. Eat raw: Chop in salads, add to eggrolls and wraps for crunch. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave boil, stir-fry, blanch, stuff and bake.
You Might Also Like
Full of calcium and bananas, these parfaits are healthy enough for breakfast and yummy enough for dessert.
Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
Starting your day with healthy delicious dish. And you can add whatever veggies you have in your hand.