- 3 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place frozen blueberries in a 9-inch pie plate. If using fresh blueberries, wash and drain before placing in a 9-inch pie plate.
3. In a small bowl, use a fork to mix margarine, flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon.
4. Sprinkle oat mixture over the blueberries.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes. Enjoy while warm!
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
More About Blueberries
How to Select
Select plump, full blueberries with a light gray-blue color. A berry with any hint of red isn't fully ripened. White and green colored blueberries will not ripen after they are picked; while blueberries that have already turned purple, red or blue-ish usually DO ripen after they are picked (if they are kept at room temperature to ripen).
How to Store
Once picked, don't place the berries, still warm from the sun, in a closed bag or container. Leave the container open so moisture doesn't form in the container. Don't wash berries until just before using, to prevent berries from becoming mushy. Chill berries soon after picking to increase shelf life. Store your fresh blueberries in the refrigerator as soon as you get them home, without washing them, in a covered bowl or storage container. If refrigerated, fresh-picked blueberries will keep 10 to 14 days. Freeze berries in freezer containers without washing to keep the skins from toughening. Place berries one layer deep. Freeze, then pour the frozen berries into freezer containers. Because unwashed blueberries freeze individually, they can be easily poured from containers in desired amounts. Remember both frozen and fresh berries should be rinsed and drained just before serving. Just before using, wash the berries in cold water.
How to Prepare
Wash and eat them raw, bake them in a bread or pie, or cook them down into a compote.
You Might Also Like
Corn, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad
This refreshing mixture can be served as a salad, topping or salsa!
Lemon Garlic Spinach
Spinach is a great seasonal ingredient and this recipe highlights its great flavor!