Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: 1 ¼ cups 376g)
Servings per recipe: 8 servings
Warm up on a chilly day with this hearty soup.View Nutrition Facts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 1 medium apple
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, no salt added
- 1 (14 ½-oz) can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (8 ¾-oz) can whole kernel corn or 1 cup thawed frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Peel and mince garlic. Peel and chop onion.
2. Rinse carrots, celery, and apple. Peel and chop carrots. Chop celery and apple.
3. If using, rinse and mince cilantro.
4. Using a colander, rinse and drain black beans. In a medium bowl, add half the black beans, reserving the rest for later. Add tomatoes to the bowl. Mash together with a fork.
5. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chopped apple, mashed bean and tomato mixture, remaining beans, broth, and corn. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes more. Stir in salt and pepper. If using, stir in cilantro now.
Leftover soup keeps for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. If you have a blender, use it to puree the tomatoes and beans in Step 4. This will give the soup a smoother feel.
More About Black Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.