- 1/2 (15-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1 ear fresh corn or 1 cup canned corn
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 12 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Optional Ingredients: 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro
1. In a colander, drain and rinse black beans.
2. Rinse zucchini. Cut into thin slices or shred with a grater.
3. Rinse and chop fresh spinach. If using fresh parsley or cilantro, rinse and chop now.
4. If using fresh corn, remove husk, and cut corn kernels off of the cob. If using canned corn, drain.
5. Grate cheese.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add zucchini and cayenne pepper. Cook until zucchini is semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
7. Add corn and spinach. Cover and cook until tender, stirring a few times, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
8. Add black beans to the veggie mixture. Stir to combine. Smash beans lightly with a fork. Add 12 teaspoons water to make a bean-and-veggie paste.
9. Season mixture with black pepper. If using parsley or cilantro, add now. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Reserve skillet.
10. Spread vegetable mixture evenly on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas over. Press lightly with spatula to flatten.
11. Spray skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over mediumhigh heat. Add one folded tortilla. Cook about 4 minutes per side, or until both sides of tortilla are golden brown. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked.
12. Cut each quesadilla into 2 wedges. Serve while hot.
More About Black Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
This delicious and versatile dish can be used as a main course or side dish for any meal of the day!
Almond Rice Pudding
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. Using brown rice will also include more whole grains in your diet.