Black Bean Burgers
Source: Just Say Yes to Fruits and Vegetables
Serving size: 1 serving (126g)
Servings per recipe: 5 servings
Missing summer barbecues? Try these inexpensive, flavorful, and protein-packed black bean burgers!View Nutrition Facts
2 cups cooked black beans, mashed
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin (optional)
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix mashed beans, green pepper, onion and garlic.
2. In a small bowl, mix egg, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce. Add to large bowl.
3. Stir in bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. To make 1 patty, lightly pack some of the mixture to fill 1/3 cup measuring cup. Take mixture out of cup and form into a patty or burger shape. Repeat to make the other 4 patties.
5. Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side. **
6. Serve and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers.
More About Black Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
Cheesy Bean Dip
This flavorful dip was developed by students from Holt High School, as part of the "Recipes for Healthy Kids Challenge." Serve it with vegetables sticks or whole wheat pita wedges.