- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans or 1 3/4 cups cooked, cooled black beans
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips, or chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil and vanilla with a fork. Add beans and mash with fork until beans are barely visible (this can take 5 or more minutes of mashing). Stir sugar and cocoa, and blend with a rubber spatula until mixed. Stir in chips or nuts if using.
4. Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
If you have a blender or food processor, you can use it to make these brownies. Put eggs, oil and vanilla in a blender or food processor, pulse to mix. Add beans and blend until pureed and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the blender or food processor with a rubber spatula once or twice. Add sugar and cocoa, and blend until mixed, about 1 minute. Add chips or nuts (if using), and pulse once or twice to m
More About Black Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
Not your average muffin, these treats are loaded with pumpkin and cranberries.
Lemon Garlic Spinach
Spinach is a great seasonal ingredient and this recipe highlights its great flavor!