- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons seasoning (chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, black pepper)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, ground or shredded, or try beans or tofu instead
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash bell peppers, remove seeds and cut into bit size pieces. Arrange pieces close together in a single layer on a large foil lined baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl combine salsa, seasonings and chicken, beans or tofu. Spoon the mixture evenly over pepper pieces then top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
For added flavor, top with chopped cilantro, jalapeno peppers, green onions (scallions), sliced tomatoes or black olives.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. To freeze, remove seeds, cut, and store in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauteed. Add them to pizzas, scrambled eggs or salads. Stuff and bake them for a delicious meal!