- 2 cans (14 ounces each) beets, drained or 3 cups cooked fresh beets
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sesame tahini or peanut butter (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine beets, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and tahini, if desired. Blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or beet juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serve with carrot, celery or jicama sticks.
Make a chunky version if you don’t have a blender or food processor; mash beets with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients and water or beet juice if needed.
More About Beets
How to Select
Choose beets with firm, smooth skins and non-wilted leaves if still attached. Smaller ones are more tender.
How to Store
Cut tops off 1 inch above root. Wrap leaves and stems in damp paper towel. Refrigerate tops and beet roots in separate plastic bags with some air holes. Use tops within a few days. Beet roots can last 1-2 months.
How to Prepare
Rinse tops. Scrub beets softly in cold water. Use tops as greens by chopping in salads and stir-fries. Eat beets raw by grating into salads. Cook beets by steaming, microwaving, broiling or boiling until tender.
You Might Also Like
Glazed Rutabagas & Potatoes
The delightful combo of rutabagas and potatoes with a light glaze is sure to brighten up a meal!
Banana and Peanut Butter Smoothie
This yummy smoothie is loaded with protein, fiber and potassium, and is quick and easy to make!