1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat or less)
1 large carrot, diced, about 1 cup
1 small onion, diced, about 1 cup
2 stalk celery, diced, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 cups water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup uncooked barley
1?2 teaspoon pepper
- In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, barley, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms with tomatoes.
Add 1 cup chopped kale or other greens with tomatoes.
More About Celery
How to Select
Choose straight, rigid celery stalks with fresh leaves. Avoid woody or limp stalks. Should smell fresh, not musty.
How to Store
Trim bases. Remove any damaged leaves. Rinse. Refrigerate celery in a plastic bag with some air holes for a week or more.
How to Prepare
Separate stalks. Rinse in cold water. Trim tip of each stalk. Eat raw: Have as snack with dip, spread with peanut butter or cream cheese, chop and add to potato salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, and other cold salads. Eat cooked: Add to stir-fries, stuffing, chicken soup and other soups and stews.