1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat or less)
1 large carrot, diced, about 1 cup
1 medium onion, diced, about 1 cup
2 stalks celery, diced, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 cups water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup uncooked barley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, barley, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
This soup works well with other vegetables, as well. Try canned or fresh sliced mushrooms or greens.
This soup also freezes well. Make a double batch of the soup, and freeze small portions for another lunch or dinner.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Black-eyed Pea and Collard Greens Soup
This delicious soup will warm your family up on a cold winter's night. It's vegan and gluten-free.
Black Bean Burgers
Missing summer barbecues? Try these inexpensive, flavorful, and protein-packed black bean burgers!