Barley and Lentil Soup
Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: 1 cup (474g)
Servings per recipe: 8 servings
Lentils add a filling, lean protein to this tasty, warming soup. Consider making extra to store in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may need to add extra liquid when you reheat.View Nutrition Facts
3 medium carrots
2 medium onions
3 large cloves garlic
4 cups fresh spinach
cup pearl barley
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon ground paprika
teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
6 cups water
4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup dried lentils
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional Ingredients: cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Rinse, peel, and dice carrots and onions. Peel and mince garlic. Rinse and chop spinach.
2. In a colander, rinse barley with cold water.
3. In a large pot, add oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper to pot. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add barley, water, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. In a colander, rinse lentils with cold water. Add lentils to pot, along with tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add spinach to soup and stir. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper and stir. If using Parmesan cheese, add now.
More About Spinach
How to Select
Choose fresh, crisp, green bunches with no evidence of insect damage.
How to Store
Remove blemished leaves, rinse, dry and refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes for use within 3-5 days. You can also blanch, cool, and freeze spinach in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse greens in cold water. Pat leaves between towels or use a salad spinner to dry leaves. Add to salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, braise, or purée. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces, and pasta, rice, and egg dishes. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.