Baked Kale Frittata
Source: Cornell's Food & Nutrition Education in Communities
Serving size: 1 wedge
Servings per recipe: 6
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and is loaded with nutrients. Try it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.View Nutrition Facts
vegetable cooking spray
1 bunch kale (3 cups chopped)
1 large onion (1 cup chopped)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup skim milk
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1/2 cup grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat 9-inch round baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Wash and chop kale. Chop onion.
3. Heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high. Add onion. Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until soft and brown.
4. Stir in kale and water. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
5. In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Blend in kale mixture.
6. Pour mixture into baking pan.
7. Bake 20 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let set for 2 to 3 minutes. Slice into wedges.
More About Kale
How to Select
Choose dark colored kale bunches with small to medium leaves. Avoid brown or yellow leaves.
How to Store
Store kale in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly and remove leaves from stalk. Chop in salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil, sauté, stir-fry or braise in flavored broth. Add to soups for last few minutes of cooking. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice as a side dish.
You Might Also Like
Yum! A quick and nutritious dessert! You can use canned pumpkin or cooked mashed squash.
Spring Green Salad
Brighten up your salad with spinach and strawberries straight from the Farmers Market or your garden!