Baked Kale Frittata
Serving size: 1 wedge
Servings per recipe: 6
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and is loaded with nutrients. Try it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.View Nutrition Facts
vegetable cooking spray
1 bunch kale (3 cups chopped)
1 large onion (1 cup chopped)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup skim milk
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1/2 cup grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat 9-inch round baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Wash and chop kale. Chop onion.
3. Heat oil in large frying pan on medium-high. Add onion. Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until soft and brown.
4. Stir in kale and water. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
5. In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Blend in kale mixture.
6. Pour mixture into baking pan.
7. Bake 20 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let set for 2 to 3 minutes. Slice into wedges.
Fresh Cooking Tips:
Try other fresh greens, such as spinach or collards, in this recipe.
Chop kale quickly by stacking and rolling the leaves.
Choose lowfat cheese to reduce the amount of fat in this recipe.
A Child Can Help:
Tear leaves in pieces instead of chopping
Set the table
More About Kale
How to Select
Choose dark colored kale bunches with small to medium leaves. Avoid brown or yellow leaves.
How to Store
Store kale in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly and remove leaves from stalk. Chop in salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil, sauté, stir-fry or braise in flavored broth. Add to soups for last few minutes of cooking. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice as a side dish.
You Might Also Like
Tofu with Broccoli
Tofu cooked until golden brown and sauteed broccoli served in a scallion soy sauce makes for a quick, delicious meal. Serve with brown rice.