Source: Food and Nutrition Education in Communities, Cornell University
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (31g)
Servings per recipe: Yields about 18 servings
Baba Ganoosh (eggplant dip with tahini: ground up sesame seeds) is a popular Middle Eastern dip and a good source of fiber.View Nutrition Facts
1 medium sized eggplant, about 1 pound
olive oil cooking spray
1 clove garlic, peeled
3 Tablespoon tahini
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
1. Spray a baking sheet lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Cut eggplant in half. Place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
3. Turn eggplant cut side up and bake for another 20 minutes.
4. Turn again to cut side down and bake for another 20 minutes, until very soft.
5. Allow eggplant to cool.
6. Put garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt into blender. Scoop eggplant out of its skin and put into blender. Blend until smooth.
7. To serve, scoop the baba ganoosh into a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Serve at room temperature, or cold, with pieces of pita bread.
8. This dish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for at least a day.
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Choose eggplants that are heavy for their size and without cracks or discolorations.
How to Store
Store eggplants in the refrigerator crisper drawer or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Use within 5-7 days. Freeze: Cook sliced eggplant, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Prepare cooked eggplant dishes and freeze in containers.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim off any bruised spots. Cut off top stem and leaves. Peel if desired. Slice or dice. Microwave cubes in water, stab holes with fork and bake whole. Stuff and bake, roast, fry coated in breadcrumbs, grill brushed with olive oil. Add to sauces and soups, stir-fry or roast with other vegetables, or add to pasta and rice dishes and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
This dish is very flexible as you can use summer squash or winter squash depending on the season.